- Why install an outside basement entry?
- Do building codes require an exterior door in our unfinished basement?
- How are basement entry doors installed?
- Are basement entry doors secure?
- Can I put an entry door in a spot with no existing door or window?
- We're in the process of remodeling our basement. Can you work with our contractor or remodeling company?
- My basement is already finished. Is it too late to add an exterior door?
- Will the carpet be destroyed?
- Will installation damage my home's foundation?
- What kind of door can I use?
- What about energy efficiency?
- Can you install a basement entry door in the winter months?
- Where should I put my basement entry door?
- Will I need a permit for a basement entry door?
- What about buried utility wires?
- Do you stand behind your work?
- Will installation ruin my lawn or landscaping?
- What happens to the dirt that is excavated?
- How long does installation take?
- What do I do next?
1. Why install an outside basement entry?
A basement entry door allows natural light and fresh air to pour into the lower level of your home, all while providing a private entrance to and from the basement, creating easy access to your yard. French doors make a basement look and feel truly finished, and increase the value, as well as the practical and aesethic appeal to your home.
2. Do building codes require an exterior door in our unfinished basement?
Building codes state that a basement sleeping area must have two exits, with one to the exterior, either through an egress window or exterior entry door. It's a matter of safety. An outside basement entry will provide a safe fire emergency exit for your family or guest using the basement living space.
3. How are basement entry doors installed?
Cutting through concrete or foundation isn't a DIY-friendly job, and it is important to hire experienced professionals. Installing a basement entry door amounts to major surgery on your home's foundation. With over 45 years experience, Foundation Builders LLC is well versed in this subject. We excavate the dirt where the door is to be installed, create an effective drainage system, pour concrete to create steps and a beautiful retaining wall, allowing us to finish the job by the final installation of the doors.
4. Are basement entry doors secure?
Building Code requires guardrails or handrails in the door area, much like the railings required on a deck or deck stairs. The door itself locks securely, just like any other door in your home. We install doors with mini-blinds between the glass for privacy.
5. Can I put an entry door in a spot with no existing door or window?
We can install an entry door in any almost any location on your basement wall, even in areas that are currently underground. A single door will be 3 feet wide, and a double door will be 6 feet in width. Doors cannot, however, be installed less than 5 feet from a gas meter.
6. We're in the process of remodeling our basement. Can you work with our contractor or remodeling company?
Foundation Builders often coordinates the installation of exterior doors with remodeling contractors. Our experience helps us make each project seamless. We bring expert experience and the right tools to every basement door installation. We're happy to work with your contractor.
7. My basement is already finished. Is it too late to add an exterior door?
Not at all. Foundation Builders can install a new exterior door while protecting your basement's walls and carpeting. We install doors in finished basements regularly.
8. Will the carpet be destroyed?
Foundation Builders has a proprietary method for cutting the opening of your exterior door. No dust or water will invade your basement with our No Mess Egress™ system! Click here to read more about our No Mess Egress™ method.
9. Will installation damage my home's foundation?
Foundation Builders uses methods approved by all building departments to ensure your door project is done accurately and precisely. Installation by an experienced crew protects your foundation from any damage. Foundation Builders has over 45 years experience in the home building industry and can be trusted with your homes foundation.
10. What kind of door can I use?
Our standard door is 5 foot wide French doors, with one door operable. The second door can be opened when needed. We also install doors with 20" X 64" glass with mini-blinds installed between the glass, or any other door that you prefer. Additional costs may apply.
11. What about energy efficiency?
Foundation Builders typically uses steel entry door systems. These high- quality, insulated glass doors far exceed building code requirements for energy efficiency.
12. Can you install a basement entry door in the winter months?
Yes, doors can be installed in all seasons. However, rain can cause work delays.
13. Where should I put my basement entry door?
Positioning a glass door to get as much sunlight as possible will brighten your basement. When choosing a location, consider the outdoor features you'd like to directly access from the basement: your garage, a pool, garden, patio, etc.
14. Will I need a permit for a basement entry door?
Most entry door additions will require permits. You may also need to check your homeowners' association's restrictions on entry doors and/or your local government's zoning requirements. Foundation Builders can provide an optional service for obtaining the drawings and specifications you need to obtain any necessary permits.
15. What about buried utility wires?
We contact Ohio Utilities Protection Service (OUPS) to mark utility lines. Please let us know if you have other lines buried on site, such as electrical lines to a shed or garage, an electric pet fence, lawn sprinklers, cable TV, or downspout drains.
16. Do you stand behind your work?
Foundation Builders' commitment to total customer satisfaction is what sets us apart from the rest. We warrant that the work we perform will be free from defects and will perform according to concrete industry standards for two years after completion. Products used in your basement entry door system offer manufacturers' warranties as well.
17. Will installation ruin my lawn or landscaping?
Yes and no. Foundation Builders uses special mats to help protect your front lawn from equipment damage. However, the work is extensive so there will need to be some restoration work needed. We try and contain this portion of the installation as much as possible, and using protective mats and dirt containment systems where we can.
18. What happens to the dirt that is excavated?
We leave the dirt onsite unless you wish to use our optional dirt removal that is available to you.
19. How long does installation take?
Our crews can install your basement entry door in about 30 days once the job is started, weather permitting.
20. What do I do next?
Call Foundation Builders at 513-753-6699 for a free site consultation. We look forward to making your dream basement a reality.