Previous Years Awarded: 2017
Basement Egress Window
Building Code Basics
The Ohio Basic Building Code stipulates the following for windows below ground level:
- Minimum Opening height: 24 inches
- Minimum Opening width: 20 inches
- Minimum sill height from floor: 44 inches
- Minimum net clear opening: 5.7 square feet.
- If the window sill is above the grade on the outside: 5 square feet.
Window Wells/Area Wells:
- Required where window opening sill height is below ground elevation.
- The window well must be a minimum of 3 feet wide and 3 feet out from the wall.
Ladders in Wells:
- Required on window wells deeper than 44 inches and must be permanently attached.
- Ladder may encroach into well up to 6 inches.
- Step distance between rungs is to be 18 inches maximum vertical spacing
- Rungs: 12 inches wide or greater and must project a minimum of 3 inches away from wall, and a maximum of 6 inches. (Our Rockwell Well has built in steps, therefore it does not need a ladder.)
- Shall be removable without special tools.
Windows Under Decks:
- The International Residential Code 2015 stipulates the following for basement egress windows under decks:
- Emergency escape windows are allowed to be installed under decks and porches provided the location of the deck allows the emergency escape window to be fully opened and provides a path not less than 36 inches in height to a public space (outside).
"We had a 5' egress window installed into our finished basement that allows more light and emergency access. Despite the monsoon rains we experienced this spring (which pushed back a lot of construction), all went well and the job was completed within the expected time. Mike's team was professional and they truly did a "no mess egress" installation. It looks great and we would use them again should the need arise."
Brad Beckett - Cincinnati, OH
Egress Window - June 2017
"They communicated well during the job, completed the work on time and left the house clean. Good company to deal with."
Julian Rose - Loveland, OH
Egress Window - February 2017